Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My review of the Curt hitch for the 06 Hyundai Elantra

I bought the Curt 11220 hitch for my 2006 Hyundai Elantra. The hitch was shipped in a rather weak cardboard box that took a pretty bad beating from UPS. There were two large holes punched through it. Luckily none of the hardware fell out.

The hitch seems to work OK however I had to modify the large carriage bolt that secures the hitch to the car's tow hook. On my car the rear tow hook is bent downward. No amount of pounding with a 16 pound sledge hammer would bend it back to.its normal position. I had to buy a longer carriage bolt from Home Depot and spend a fair.amount of time grinding the steel plate down in order to finish the install. From what I have read elsewhere I'm not the only one that had to do this. The manufacturer needs to take this into account for their design. I'm sure a lot of cars have their hook bent downward from being on the transport carrier. This turned a 5 minute job into an hour job.

No comments:

Post a Comment